Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Thought



I hope you're all having a good day, and if you are alone or unhappy, I'm sending you some positive thoughts. It is only a day, even if it feels like the world revolves around the 25th of December, and things will all get back to normal very soon.

I'm not alone this year - my son and his significant other are here - but I expect to be next year, when they will go to the in-laws, and I've been wondering what it will be like to be alone on Christmas Day. I've been used to a houseful of guests all my married life and it will be strange to be alone, but I will not become someone else's waif and stray - I am determined about that. I'll still decorate a tree, I'll still have a special meal and, in fact, I'm quite excited about that because I will be able to do a vegetarian lunch for the first time - grumpy meat-eating men have prevented this up till now. Pulling crackers might be hard, unless the dog takes the other end in her teeth. I think I'll concentrate on feeding the birds, and take a long walk with the dog.

I will shun the usual ghastly Christmas TV, except Doctor Who, of course, and instead I will put on my extended Lord of the Rings trilogy, close the curtains, snuggle up by the fire with a hot chocolate and a warm dog. When it's really dark, I will go out and wave to the Moon, and blow a kiss to Orion the Hunter as he marches across the sky - I've got a bit of a crush on him - and I will go to bed and dream of Aragorn and Orion, and heroic times.

And then on Boxing Day I will rejoin normal society and go sale-shopping!

6 comments:

Kate said...

I still have the girls, but am feeling pretty alone at this point. Most of my family and friends are far away.

Ah, I long for some Doctor Who today...

Puddock said...

Hi Kate - yes, it's the lack of adult company, isn't it? Or even, dare I say, someone to do something for us for a change - a cup of tea would be nice, or a bit of a shoulder massage...

The first of the two Doctor Who specials is on today at teatime so here we will all cuddle down and watch it together. Will you get to see it via the internet?

Widow in the Middle said...

I've been thinking of you and hoping all has been well the past weeks. The day you have planned for next year sounds very peaceful and calm. The word contentment comes to mind - from the Lord of the Rings and hot chocolate to concentrating on feeding the birds. You are so apt in pointing out that tomorrow life will be back to normal for the world again!

Sheila said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I am one of you. When my husband was diagnosed with dementia, I was 62. I have written a memoir about how I was able to find a good life for myself even though I was alone for the first time in my life. It's called Moving to the Center of the Bed: The Artful Creation of a Life Alone. See my website: www.centerofthebed.com and also Amazon.com. I've been on NBC-TV and many radio programs. I've been told by many that my book, though a memoir, has been a pathway for others. Thanks for reading.

Puddock said...

Hi Sheila - so nice to hear from you!

I love the title of your book - it really strikes a chord with me. I have now ordered a copy from Amazon and cannot wait to read it and compare notes. It's great to meet another friend to share experiences with and I look forward to visiting your blog.

Sheila said...

Hi, Puddock,
And thank you so much for your note and for sending for my book. Where are you, exactly? I have several friends now in England, Ireland, Scotland and, New Zealand because of my book and it's so lovely to connect across the miles. If you care to you can write to me at Sheila@centerofthebed.com. as I check my gmail less often.
I enjoyed your new post...beautifully written. I applaud your courage and desire to keep going and doing the things that give you pleasure.
Keep on, keep on!