Friday, October 24, 2008

I Am a Glorious Chicken...?

I've been (and still am)suffering from a really irritating old woman's problem which I won't go into here - nothing serious but chronic and distracting. I was in a bookshop yesterday, feeling sorry for myself and pretty desperate about the future when a card in the Edward Monkton section caught my eye:



And it really inspired me. I love Edward Monkton's work. He's done the Madness Hamsters, the Handbag of Glory and the Shoe of Salvation, amongst others. My favourite is my fridge magnet that has the question Are You Normal? and a little person shouting at the top of their voice NO! Pretty much summed up how I've been feeling this last few years and curiously comforting every time I open the door.

And he's done it again. When you've hit fifty and it really really feels as if it's downhill from here, no matter how optimistic and Pollyanna-ish you try to be, the thought that each year you live adds a glorious feather to the Chicken of your Life really bucks you up.

I now have an image of myself as a fabulous mythical phoenix-chicken, with many feathers. Some are long and silky and multi-hued. Some are, frankly, a bit straggly and hardly worthy of the title feather. But each one adds to the unique creation that is me.

It's a helluva better thought than the old one of bits falling off, drooping and breaking down!

(You can buy Edward Monkton stuff here or in loads of shops - I see a lot of them in Waterstones.)

Altogether now...

MAY EACH YEAR BE A FEATHER ON THE GLORIOUS CHICKEN OF LIFE AS IT SOARS UNTAMED AND BEAUTIFUL TOWARDS THE GOLDEN SUN.

2 comments:

Coffeecup said...

Very clever! Silly and sweet, how could anyone read that and not chuckle? (or should that be cluck?) Cheered me up no end Puddock, thanks for sharing. xxx

reeflightning said...

hey there puddock ... good one, thanks!